Current Affairs Today (02 July, 2019)
1. State Butterfly of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Yeoman Butterfly has been declared as the state butterfly of Tamil Nadu.
- Tamil Nadu Capital: Chennai - Chief Minister: Edappadi K. Palaniswami - Governor: Banwarilal Purohit.
2. Jaya Arunachalam passes away
- Jaya Arunachalam was an Indian social worker and the founder of Working Women’s Forum, a non-governmental organization based in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu, working for the welfare of marginalized women.
- The Working Women’s Forum is a women’s organisation in southern India.
- The WWF aims to empower poor women in southern India by providing microcredits, a trade union, health care and training.
3. International Indian Film Academy
- The 20th Edition of International Indian Film Academy (IIFA) Awards will be held in Nepal.
- The International Indian Film Academy Awards are a set of awards presented annually by the International Indian Film Academy to honour both artistic and technical excellence of professionals in Bollywood, the Hindi language film industry.
- Produced by: Wizcraft International
4. STRIDE Scheme
- University Grants Commission has approved a ‘Scheme for Trans-disciplinary Research for India’s Developing Economy’ to boost research culture.
- Chairman of Advisory Committee:- Bhushan Patwardhan.
- Aim :- Identification of young talent, strengthen research culture, build capacity, promote innovation and support trans disciplinary research.
5. International Whaling Commission
- Japan has withdrew from The International Whaling Commission.
- The International Whaling Commission (IWC) is an international body set up by the terms of the International Convention for the Regulation of Whaling (ICRW).
- Aim :- "Provide for the proper conservation of whale stocks and thus make possible the orderly development of the whaling industry".
- Headquarters :- Impington, United Kingdom
6. United Nation’s Women in Politics List 2019
- India has ranked 78th in UN Women in Ministerial Position List 2019.
- Spain has topped the UN Women in Ministerial Position List 2019.
- India has ranked 149th in UN Women in Parliament List 2019.
- Rwanda has topped UN Women in Parliament List 2019.
7. Strum Ataka anti-tank missile
- India has signed Rs 200 crore deal with Russia for acquiring Strum Ataka anti-tank missile.
- It will be mounted on Mi-35 attack choppers of Indian Air Force.
8. Deputy Governor of RBI
- NS Vishwanathan has been re-appointed as Deputy Governor of RBI for one more year.
- Three Deputy Governors of RBI
- 1. BP Kanungo
- 2. MK Jain
- 3. NS Vishwanathan
9. European Union with Vietnam
- European Union has signed Free Trade Agreement with Vietnam.
- Vietnam :- Capital: Hanoi || Currency: Vietnamese dong
- The European Union is a political and economic union of 28 member states that are located primarily in Europe. It has an area of 4,475,757 km² and an estimated population of about 513 million.
- Headquarters: Brussels, Belgium
10. Book "A Prime Minister to Remember: Memories of a Military Chief"
- Former Navy Chief Sushil Kumar has authored Book ‘A Prime Minister to Remember’.
- Admiral Sushil Kumar Isaac, PVSM, UYSM, AVSM, NM was a Chief of Naval Staff in the Indian Navy.
11. Women’s FIH Pro League 2019
- Netherlands has crowned first women’s FIH Pro League champions over Australia.
- The Fédération Internationale de Hockey, commonly known by the acronym FIH, is the international governing body of field hockey and indoor field hockey.
- Its headquarters are in Lausanne, Switzerland and the president is Narinder Batra.
12. OSJA Sports Award
- Sportsperson Of The Year :- Amit Rohidas Indian field hockey player
- Lifetime Achievement Award :- Boxing Coach Braja Bhusan Mohanty
13. U-19 Asian Squash title
- Veer Chotrani of India has won Gold Medal in Under-19 title at the Asian Junior Championship in Macau, China.
- Squash is a ball sport played by two (singles) or four players (doubles squash) in a four-walled court with a small, hollow rubber ball. The players must alternate in striking the ball with their racquet and hit the ball onto the playable surfaces of the four walls of the court.
14. The 2019 Wimbledon Championships
- The 2019 Wimbledon Championships is a Grand Slam tennis tournament that is currently taking place at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club in Wimbledon, London, United Kingdom.
- Novak Djokovic (Men’s) and Angelique Kerber (Women’s) are the defending champions in 2018 Wimbledon Championships singles competitions.